Get started with home automation

harrison

Feb 14, 2023
I want to start controlling lights etc from my phone
What is the best option to go for these days hue seems pretty expensive but lots of cheaper lights on amazon

A lot of the cheaper bulbs on Amazon from brands you've never heard of tend to be wifi only, with what can only be described as less than trustworthy security credentials - IoT and home automation devices can often be vectors for people to get into your home network.

Philips Hue is probably one of the oldest and more refined products but I agree it is pricy. If you have an IKEA nearby you might want to look at their TRADFI range which I believe is Hue compatible.

You might also want to look at Home Assistant, particularly their integrations pages, for some further inspiration, depending on just how involved you want to get with home automation:

I want to start controlling lights etc from my phone
What is the best option to go for these days hue seems pretty expensive but lots of cheaper lights on amazon
If you're looking for a cost-effective option to control lights and other devices from your phone, there are a few alternatives to consider apart from Philips Hue. While Philips Hue is indeed a popular and reliable choice, other options might better fit your budget. Here are a couple of suggestions:

1. Smart Bulbs: TP-Link Kasa and LIFX offer reasonably priced smart bulbs that connect via Wi-Fi. They are compatible with popular voice assistants like Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, allowing you to control them with your phone or through voice commands.

2. Smart Plugs: If you have existing regular bulbs, you can use smart plugs to make them controllable via your phone. Brands like TP-Link, Wemo, and Gosund offer affordable Wi-Fi-enabled smart plugs that can turn any plug-in device into a smart one.

When purchasing smart devices from Amazon, be sure to read customer reviews and check for compatibility with popular smart home platforms like Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant. This helps ensure that the devices will integrate well with your existing setup.

Additionally, if you're interested in expanding your home automation setup beyond just lights, you may want to explore platforms like Home Assistant, which allow you to integrate and control various smart devices from different brands through a unified interface.

I hope this helps you get started with your home automation journey!

Back